Raymond J. Mantha, P.Eng., F.E.C.
EMPLOYER AND POSITION
University of Ottawa, BASc in Civil Engineering, 1978
Worked in the Ontario Government for 34 years holding two Assistant Deputy Minister level positions, most recently at the Ministry of Northern Development, Mines and Forestry, directing the renewal of Ontario’s Mining Act and the re-engineering of the ministry’s mining division.
Prior to that, held progressively responsible positons at the Ministry of Transportation, serving as its Chief Engineer and Provincial Highways Management Executive Director, responsible for a broad range of policies, standards, and investment strategies for Ontario’s roadways. Also led Ontario’s transportation response to the fall-out post 911 including the planning and early design of the new Gordy Howe Bridge between Windsor and Detroit which is now under construction.
Recently completed a four-year term as the Executive Director of the Transportation Association of Canada Foundation where I led the fundraising initiatives in support of developing tomorrow’s transportation professionals through scholarships, internships, and other assistance as appropriate.
An external member on the Morrison Hershfield, Consulting Engineers, board of directors from 2013 to 2021 and was board Chair from 2018 to 2020.
ACTIVITIES IN ADVOCACY ORGANIZATIONS
Engineers Canada as a member of the Public Affairs Advisory Committee for the past 10 years and as its chair since 2015. The PAAC supports the CEO at Engineers Canada through the creation and development of National Position Statements on engineering matters critically important to Canadians.
YEARS OF REGISTRATION WITH PROFESSION
Professional Engineer Designation, (P.Eng.) in Ontario in 1980
Engineers Canada fellowship, (F.E.C.) in 2009
OTHER PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
• Canadian Mining Innovation Council as Ontario’s Board Member (2011-2012)
• Transportation Association of Canada Board of Directors (2006-2011), President (2010-2011)
• Transportation Association of Canada Chief Engineers Committee (2004-2006), (Chair 2006-2006)
• Canadian Transportation Engineering Research Standing Committee (2004-2010)
• US Standing Committee on Transportation Research (2004-2010)
• Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators (2004-2010)
• Science North, Canada’s 2nd largest Science Centre (2020-present)
• YMCA Canada National Board (1995-2005) — Chair (1999-2002)
• World Alliance of YMCA’s – 128 countries (2002-2006) — Executive Committee Member
• PEO Chapter in North Bay, board member (1988-2005) — Chair (1992-1993)
• Many other local organizations such as Rotary, Easter Seals, Ski Racers, Canoe Club, Centennial Pool Commission
I have observed for many years the confusion of responsibilities between PEO and OSPE. Ontario needs a clear, strong, persuasive voice to inform and educate Ontarians on matters of importance with the necessary engineering perspective. I would very much like to add my voice, through many years of management and board governance, to the growing movement of forward thinking and progressive engineers in Ontario. I was raised in and continue to live in Northern Ontario.