Job Search Workshop: How to Position for a New Employment Landscape (1023)
October 16 @ 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
IMPORTANT: If you have not received your course information, please be sure to check your Spam/Junk folder 2-3 days prior to the course start date.
Professionals may find themselves in an unfamiliar position of seeking work in a highly competitive market due to economic factors beyond their control. It is critical that engineers position for a new employment landscape and understand how to maximize their employment opportunities. This workshop is not a get hired quick fix but rather requires preparation and deploying tactics that will get you in front of the right employers who have jobs to fill but are not necessarily broadcasting their openings.
Our goal is to prepare you to become a candidate not an applicant by giving you the tools to prepare for this new job landscape and these will include:
- Setting yourself up to win in a hyper competitive job market
- Learning how to get an employer to respond to you by mastering the art of professional positioning and the marketing best practices of professional recruiters and head-hunters
- Increasing your employment options by evaluating your competencies and aligning these with hiring employers’ requirements
- Why social capital is the strongest currency in the world and how to find and engage engineering professionals, build connections virtually, gain respect, and develop relationships that lead to introductions and career opportunities
- Choosing the right messaging vectors – email, telephone, voice mail, InMail, videos, virtual meetings, and get decision makers (CEOs, VPs, Directors and Managers) to act on your behalf by gaining respect and building trust quickly
- When to call on legal assistance: Protecting your rights, income, and severance pay
- How to overcome biases, including: ageism, overqualified, long term unemployment, employment gaps, and the no experience and the no Canadian experience employer objections
- Be the CEO of YouInc., set a job search plan, and base it on sound financial judgement, including calculating your Financial Runway and your monthly Burn Rate
Paul Hill is a job search pioneer and transformational career coach who has spearheaded projects recognized by industry as ground breaking in the areas of job search, social networking and professional career coaching.
He is a career management professional, job search trainer and author of the bestselling book The Panic Free Job Search. His work has appeared in major media outlets, including CBC, ABC, CTV and Globe and Mail.
Paul delivers professional development and career training for professional associations, including the Ontario Society of Professional Engineers (OSPE), The American Society of Quality (ASQ), and the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPAO). He is the principal of Transition to Hired where he helps professionals in transition land new employment through his Private Client Services practice.