Pre-start Health and Safety Review – Understanding O.Reg. 851 Section 7
March 5, 2024 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Designed for Health and Safety representatives, supervisors, management, maintenance staff, engineers, and anyone interested in Pre-start Health and Safety Review (PHSR). This course provides learners with the skills for understanding the requirements of Ontario Regulation 851 Section 7, PHSR exemptions, and the PHSR report. Course materials will be will be based on the Ontario Legislation, Ministry of Labor, Training and Skills Development Guidelines and PEO Guideline for Engineers Completing Pre-start Health and Safety Review.
- History of Ontario Regulation 851
- Injury Statistics
- Legislation Overview
- Guiding documents
- Ontario Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development Guidelines
- PEO Guideline for Engineers Completing Pre-start Health and Safety Review
- When is PHSR required?
- Applicable sections of O.Reg 851
- Exemptions and required documentation
- The Pre-start Health and Safety Review
- Required qualifications for persons completing a PHSR
- The review process
- What to do with a PHSR report
- The Pre-start Health and Safety Review Report
- Getting ready for a PHSR
- Understanding your PHSR report
- Final thoughts
- Lessons learned
- Future of PHSRs, functional safety and machine guarding assessment
This program qualifies for CPD Hours
The course instructor will be Renée Frigault who is the owner and principle Machine Safety Consultant for Lucid Engineering Ltd. She is a Professional Engineer, holds a Master’s degree in Biomechanical Engineering, has over 20 years experience working in industry and as a safety consultant and is an author on the PEO “Guideline for Engineers Completing Pre-start Health and Safety Review”. As a machine safety specialist she has completed over 1000 Pre-start Health and Safety Reviews, machine guarding reviews and factory audits in Canada, the United States and Mexico, developed educational courses and learning materials in Machine Safety, Industrial Ergonomics, and Electrical Isolation Procedures and delivered over 500 training hours on a wide variety of health and safety related topics.