- This event has passed.
Reports, Proposals, and Communications for Engineers
November 7, 2023 @ 9:00 am - November 28, 2023 @ 12:00 pm
Join us November 7 and November 28, for two x three hour sessions. This course delivers many treasures of experience and knowledge about consultant writing collected from senior engineers and scientists, paired with publishing industry knowledge. The course is delivered as an engaging, interactive, hands-on online seminar. Bring your pen! You’ll use it.
To earn your certificate for completing this course you’ll submit a project for evaluation for which you’ll receive individual feedback and gain insight from Christa’s 25 years of experience with writing for engineers and scientists.
Important: Registration closes October 27th as workbooks need to be mailed.
The essentials of industry reporting
- how to structure reports and communications from scratch
- language and formatting strategies to make reports more readable for clients
- how to avoid legal pitfalls
- how to choose what’s important to include, and what to exclude
Strategies for peer team language review
- how to review peers’ writing in the most logical and helpful ways
- language review checklists and procedures
- team work and scheduling procedures for harmony and good relations
Winning methods for more successful proposal writing
- building an industry network
- persuasive writing & pitch strategies
- case studies to sell innovations
Readable client-friendly memos, and e-mails
- how to keep your missives brief
- how to get the answers you want from your clients and correspondents
- how to nurture and maintain excellent relations through your correspondence and social media strategies
- Reading Assignments
- Final project with individual feedback from instructor
- Session 1: November 7
- Session 2: November 28
This program qualifies you for 10 hours of continuing education credits.
About the Instructor
Christa Bedwin earned a B.Sc. in Chemistry and a B.Ed., a yoga teacher’s certificate, and a professional chemist’s designation. She is a Senior Technical Editor with over 20 years of experience writing and editing and coaching scientific and engineering writers. She edits for educational and trade publishers, industry, government, and academia specializing in education, chemistry, engineering, and the environment.
Christa teaches technical writing to professional engineers and scientists in Canada and internationally. She has published several textbooks about technical writing for scientific reporting consultants and has contributed chapters to Editors Canada’s books Editing Canadian English and Editorial Niches.