Laura M.Y. Yu, P.Eng., Ph.D.
Employer and Position
Ontario Centres of Excellence Inc. (OCE), Innovation Procurement Manager
University of Toronto
- Ph.D.: Collaborative Chemical & Biomedical Engineering, 2008, Supervisor: Dr. Molly Shoichet
- MASc: Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, 2003, Supervisor: Dr. A. Wilhelm Neumann
- BASc: Chemical Engineering & Applied Chemistry, Honours, 2002
- Innovation Procurement and Business Development Manager, OCE, 2011 – PRESENT
- Research and Development Engineer, Baylis Medical, 2008 – 2011
Activities in Advocacy Organizations
OSPE Research and Innovation Task Force Member
Years of Registration with Profession
PEO since May 2016
Y2Youth: mentor and coach to high school students interested in entrepreneurship, Sept 2015, Feb 2016
Selected Technical Papers Published
- Desai, M.J., Ollerenshaw, J., Harrison, R., Yu, L., Sayal, P., Crone, T., Dine, A., Intervertebral disc temperature mapping during disc biacuplasty in human cadaver, Pain Physician, 18(2): E217-23, 2015.
- Yu LMY; Miller FD; Shoichet MS. 2010 “The use of immobilized neurotrophins to support neuron survival and guide nerve fiber growth in compartmentalized chambers” Biomaterials, 31: 6987-99.
- Yu LMY; Wosnick JH; Shoichet MS. 2008 “Miniaturized system of neurotrophin patterning for guided regeneration” J Neurosci Methods, 171: 253-63.
- Yu LMY; Leipzig ND; Shoichet MS. 2008 “Promoting neuron adhesion and growth” Materials Today, 11: 36-43.
My name is Laura Yu and I am currently the Innovation Procurement Manager at Ontario Centres of Excellence, a not-for-profit organization supporting technology-based companies to scale and grow in Ontario for over 30 years. I bring with me more than 9 years of experience in the innovation and technology industry, including the translation of research into commercialization. My engineering career began as R&D engineer in the medical device before progressively moving toward business development to support startups and small medium enterprises (SMEs) grow in Ontario. I have managed over 230 successful industry-academic collaborative projects across multiple industry sectors and advised startups on their development activities and fundraising roadmaps. Recently, I work closely with the Ontario government to lead a $28.8M program that engages the private sector for their innovative technology solutions to address public sector challenges, which may lead to procurement opportunities. This puts me in a unique position to 1. engage with a variety of stakeholders including engineers, engineering students, industry, and government; 2. amplify the role and work of engineers in addressing global challenges and showcasing their impact on Ontario’s future growth and next generation of engineers; and 3. excel the profile of OSPE and its values to its members. In joining the OSPE Board of Directors, it is my desire to help advance and promote the engineering profession. Therefore, I like to ask for your support and the opportunity to serve our current and future members.
For more information visit https://www.ospe.on.ca/board-elections.