Tibor Turi, P.Eng., Ph.D.
Employer and Position
Ontario Centres of Excellence, Regional Director, Business Development Operations
- B.Eng. – McMaster University, 1989
- M.Eng. – McMaster University, 1991
- Ph.D. – Queen’s University, 1997
- Post-doc – Nanostructured Materials, University of Toronto, 1997
- Executive Certificate – Strategy and Innovation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Sloan School of Management, 2007
- Regional Director, Ontario Centres of Excellence, 2016 – Present
- Manager-Ontario, Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council of Canada, 2009 – 2016
- Technical Consultant, Manufacturing Clients, 2008 – 2009
- Manager, Product Development, Algoma Steel/Essar Steel Algoma Inc., 2005 – 2008
- Supervisor, Product Development and Product Applications, Stelco, 1997 – 2005
- Metallurgical Engineer, Dofasco, 1991 – 1992
Activities in Advocacy Organizations
- Industry Science & Economic Development/Industry Canada Partner Portfolio Committee, Ontario; Co-Founding Member, 2010 – 2016
- Applied Research & Innovation Committee Advisory Board, Centennial College, 2010 – Present
- NSERC Ontario Advisory Committee Chair, 2010 – 2016
- NSERC Industrial Research Chair College Steering Committee, Conestoga College, Cambridge; Research Steering Committee Member, 2017 – Present
Years of Registration
- PEO (Ontario): Membership in 1992
- University of Toronto Connaught Awards, Reviewer, 2011
- Ontario Centres of Excellence, External Review Panel, Expert Reviewer, 2010 – 2016
- Oakville Innovation Awards, Awards Judge, 2014
- Fundica Road Show – Ottawa, Toronto – Company Pitch Review Committee, 2012 – 2016
Conference or Technical Papers Given or Published
- “Analysis of Corrosion Products Formed on Some Ontario’s Weathering Steel Bridges“, A. Coomarasamy, D. Lai, F. Pianca, T. Turi, S. Ramamurthy, B. Kobe, M.J. Walzak, J. Sawicki, NACE International, Corrosion 2008 Conference and Expo, New Orleans, LA, March 16-20, 2008.
- “Steel Plate and Welded Shapes and Profiles for Cold Climate Construction”, T. Turi, Cold Climate Construction Conference and Expo 2007, Invited Presentation, Edmonton, April, 2007.
- “Processing and Properties of Ultrafine Bainitic Plate Steels”, I. Yakubtsov, J.D. Boyd (Queen’s University), T. Turi (Stelco Inc.), D. Emadi (Canmet), 2nd International Conference on Thermomechanical Processing of Steels, 15-17 June 2004, Liege, BELGIUM
It is a genuine honour to be nominated to be a member of the OSPE Board of Directors. As an engineer with complementary experience in research, industry and government, and significant experience in international business development, I believe I can offer a valuable perspective on a broad range of advocacy issues for Ontario engineers. The profile of engineers amongst the general public needs to be significantly enhanced and engineers voices need to be heard in many different channels of discussion in order to better contribute to evidence-based decision making and in setting public policy. I am passionate about innovation and Canada’s future and have represented Canada in special embassy events in Europe as an invited speaker and innovation expert. I look forward to the opportunity to contribute and to serve my chosen profession directly.